There's much to see here. So, take your time, look around, and learn all there is to know about us. We hope you enjoy our site and invite you to come visit us. Above is the Canal House, built in 1842 as the headquarters of the Whitewater Canal. Located at 111 E. 4th St., it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is one of the finest examples of Greek Revival Architecture in Indiana. It is owned and maintained by Historic Connersville, Inc.
Canal House is open at various times during the year.
The Fayette County Historical Museum is open Saturdays and Sundays 10 a.m. until 3 p.m.
Historic Connersville, Inc. is constantly striving to grow our collections and educate others about the rich heritage of Fayette County, Indiana. Connersville's history began with its founding by John Conner in 1813. Fayette County was created in 1819. Our organization was formed in 1963 with the goal of preserving the history of our county and Connersville, the county seat. The first priority was the acquisition and restoration of the Canal House. Other properties followed, and our exhibits grew and continue to grow.
We are a non profit organization staffed by dedicated volunteers who delight in sharing the story of our community. Our organization is funded through dues and donations. The museum at 200 West Fifth Street is open Saturday and Sunday year round. Special group tours are available outside our regular hours. The Canal House and Hose House are open during special events and by appointment. There are no admission fees, but donations are gratefully accepted. We invite you to visit and promise you won't be disappointed!
To join or make a donation, message us here or call (765) 825-0946.
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 197 Connersville, Indiana 47331
Individual - $15.00 Family - $25.00
The museum has something for everyone!
Native American Artifacts
Pioneer Life and a Log Cabin
Whitewater Canal Artifacts
Industrial & Manufacturing History
Connersville Built Horse Drawn Vehicles
Connersville Built Motor Cars
School & Organization Displays
Open Saturday and Sunday
10 a.m. until 3 p.m.
The one remaining of Connersville's three original firehouses, built in 1870. The Hose House contains memorabilia from the Connersville Fire Department's past, including the original Gamewell system which alerted the firemen through a series of fire boxes located throughout the city. Open by appointment.
Our collection of Native American artifacts which have been gathered from the area.
Log cabins were the first homes for most early settlers. This cradle was hand made in the Carolinas about 1790 and was brought here by the family about 1810.
The first settlers were somewhat isolated. Most cabins were roughly 12' x 16' and contained what the family needed to be self sufficient.
Agriculture was the principal occupation of early settlers. The first tools were usually handmade. Later, machines came into use that made the work easier.
Trading posts and general stores sprang up, and people could barter for or buy necessities. These places often also served as post offices.
As with all communities, Fayette County needed a center of government. The present courthouse is built around this structure which was built in 1849.
Downtown Area (and Beyond) Historic Tour
Our city and county are full of beautiful places to see, and many of them are extremely historic. as well. The Mary Gray Bird Sanctuary, just a short drive southwest of town, is a great place for a hike and a picnic. Many of the homes of our early industrialists and business men are examples of classic architectural styles. City Cemetery is the resting place of our earliest citizens. Roberts Park has a great aquatic center and excellent examples of the work done by the WPA. It also hosts the state's oldest free fair.
Connersville was once known as Little Detroit.
These five classic examples of automobiles produced here are on display in the museum. along with the history of other manufacturing.
The first cemetery was near the river. Due to floods and the changing course of the river, many of those graves were lost. The others were moved to the second cemetery at 7th & Western. When that place became too small, all the graves there were moved to City Cemetery.
This brochure is available in print at the Tourism Kiosk on Central Avenue and at the Fayette County Historical Museum. Feel free to download.
These Cemeteries are located throughout the county
Please be aware that there are rules for visiting. Some are only accessible with permission of the property owner. There are also guidelines in place for the protection of cemeteries.
Compiled by fayette county historian donna schroeder
This church was established when southern Fayette County was still part of Franklin County. Some of our earliest settlers were members. The minutes book is part of the collection of Historic Connersville, Incorporated. Reproduction of this document, in full or part, is strictly prohibited without express written consent of the author. This list describes when the member was accepted and when and how they left the church.
We love our customers, so feel free to visit during normal business hours.
10:00 am – 03:00 pm
10:00 am – 03:00 pm
P.O. Box 197 Connersville, Indiana 47331